baslinux - [BL] BL3

  • From: cce.zizkov AT volny.cz
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL3
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 10:34:03

Hi Steven,

thank you for your new version of BL that I look forward to try soon.
Until now, from what you write and from what I have experienced with
BL in general, I have three comments:

1. Busybox

is a great tool and BL would hardly be BL without it. But in the
past it evoked misunderstandings among people who gained their
first Linux experiences with BL. They reached some limitations of
busybox replacements (eg. missing options while compiling programs)
and were not skilled enough to replace the commands from Slackware.
It should be made clear in the first instructions what busybox
is, and there should be an add-on that entirely replaces busybox
in a hardware installation for those who want to go further.
(This may apply rather to BL2 than to BL3 that is not intended to
be installed on HD partition).

2. Using DOS partition

is quite useful for saving changes in configuration and as
a depository for add-ons which would not be needed in every Linux
session. But I would expect that this feature will not limit
users in organizing their hard disk directory tree. Already
C:\SLAKWARE to install BL2 was quite annoying in this regard. I think
C:\BASLIN could be a handy default, but basically the location of BL
files on the DOS partition should be configureable in BL3.

3. Localization

I am very curious to see how BL3 acts in the X environment.
Please do not trash BL 1.x! At least not before a higher BL
version appears that is capable of Czech localization under X.
Although I really like browsing with Firebird, I have only
seen one working Linux system with full Czech localization, and that
is BL 1.

On any of the five computers in my office and at home there are at
least 3 versions of BL (BL1, BL1-Slackware-3.5, BL2, BL2-Slackware-
7.1). As the hardware on these machines is quite different (from 386
to Pentium II, different kinds of sound cards, from no CD at all to CD-
RW, from mono to hi-res monitor) I highly appreciate that with the
new version you returned to the original modular approach. Thanks to
you and all those on the list who helped you!

Christof Lange

Christof Lange <cce.zizkov AT volny.cz>
Prokopova 4, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
phone: (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov