baslinux - Re: [BL] miniX

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] miniX
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 20:06:32 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> > Opera is not a minimal binary. It requires lots of additional
> > bits & pieces. Libraries for starters,
>
> It is supposed to be static so ldd did not show any dependencies.

Really? When I ldd opera, I get nine libraries required.
The "static" in the name refers to "static-qt" (i.e. the
qt library is static, not all libraries).

> > (1) customized kernel optimized for 486dx
> > (2) customized kernel optimized for low-end Pentium
>
> Can we also use these kernels with BL2?

Probably. But you might also need some additional modules.

> What does it mean when something is optimized for a low-end
> Pentium? Does it run faster than a kernel that also works
> on older cpus?

Yes. The optimized kernels will be smaller and faster.

> Have you looked recently at flwriter?

No.

> > Plus the various static binaries that (hopefully) will
> > work with BL3: ssh, links-ssl, xfreecell, etc.
>
> Also the static sftp?

Only if somebody finds how to make it to work (and proves
that the binary works correctly). Some of the other binaries
in the diet-libc collection are faulty.

> Please try lynx-static-ssl when you have time.

Too big. I prefer links-ssl.

> lynx.cfg could be trimmed quite a bit

links can run without a config file. IIRC lynx refuses to
run without an appropriate config file.