baslinux - [BL] miniX

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] miniX
  • Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 19:32:04 -0500 (EST)

I downloaded miniX from JP's site and installed it, then also installed
bl2-x so as to have icewm.

If I type X it gives me X without a window manager.
I forget how to run programs without a window manager - ??

I typed xinit -- /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvesa

which if I have installed xvesa.tgz (from delilinux?) and a few other
xpackages gives me the icewm screen with a Start menu, in the default 640
resolution.

My menu contains only:
Opera (I have installed opera but it won't load - I dont' have
libpthread.so.8 installed and probably need to install the SW81 runtime
libraries not just the compiling libraries)
several horizontal lines close together - no xterm visible
Nothing else except
Windows
Themes
Logout

Has anyone else tried mini?
/usr/X11R6/bin/ has various directories such as chimera, xedit, xman.
About 2M of files, of which chimera is 400K.

Should I uninstall bl2-x to get miniX to work properly?