baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Divide overflow

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Divide overflow
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 15:22:37 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> Why can't a ramdisk be larger than 4M?

The maximum is specified when the kernel is compiled.

> Could you change from 4096 to twice that, for instance?

Only when you compile the kernel. But I'm not sure about
the 2.2 kernel. The 2.4 kernel can definitely set a larger
ramdisk when the kernel is compiled. The 2.0 kernel
definitely can't.

> There is also a /hd, we noticed.

You can make as many mountpoints as you want. And call
them whatever you want. They are just directories.

> Are there many basiclinux users who don't have a way to
> make a plain DOS boot disk?

Oh yes. Most people have Windows 2000/XP/??? without a real
DOS (so they cannot even boot BasicLinux). The only way they
can use it is to make the floppy. I use fdimage.exe because
it works both from real DOS and from the pseudo-DOS that
Windows now has.

> Could Part2 be made 200K larger and Part1 made smaller so
> as to leave more room on the boot disk?

Yes, simply adjust the split parameter in make_fd.bat.
Part1 is currently set at 400kb.

Keep in mind, however, that subsequent versions of BasicLinux
might be (slightly) larger. Unless you want to redo make_fd.zip
for every new version, you should leave some leeway.