baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Divide overflow

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Divide overflow
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 13:28:37 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> How about it making 3 4M RAMdisks instead of two?

No problem. You can make seven if you want. However,
keep in mind that the memory provided by those ramdisks
is not continuous. The 4mb RAM is available only within
that ramdisk. For example, there is no way to run a 5mb
binary (because it won't fit completely into a single
ramdisk). However, if you have a package containing a
3mb binary and 2mb of support files, you could split them
between two ramdisks (as long as you can point the binary
to the location of the support files).

> How do you tell it how many RAM disks to make?

It happens in /etc/rc (the startup script for ramdisk BL2).
--------------------------------
mke2fs -i8192 -m0 /dev/ram1 4096
mount -t ext2 /dev/ram1 /tmp
--------------------------------
To make another ramdisk, do the same for /dev/ram2 and
give it a different mountpoint (/tmp is already occupied
so you must use something else).

> Windows is currently putting in drvspace.bin

Every new version of windows also seems to increase the
size of msdos.sys/io.sys

> but with your 2-floppy system with 1.2M per floppy there
> is still enough space.

I'm not sure that is correct for every version of Windows.

> People who format with Windows could be instructed how to
> unhide drvspace.bin and remove it.

I'm pretty sceptical about that suggestion. An early version
of make_fd asked people to add HIMEM.SYS to the first floppy
(after formatting it). Many people could not get that one
right. Lord knows how they would cope with an invisible file.

> What else has Windows crammed onto a boot disk?

I've seen other junk there too. I think one was a net-something.