baslinux - Re: [BL] How to install .tar.gz files the correct way

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] How to install .tar.gz files the correct way
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 17:30:00 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> I may switch to the XS3 video next. Do I need to reconfigure
> some file or just install the new XS3 file?

If you use installpkg to install the S3 package, then it should
automatically rejig X to use that Xserver.

> One thing I never understood how to do is install Opera 6.03
> the correct way rather than with installpkg. Steven, can you
> remind me?

It's like a DOS package. You unzip it to a temporary directory
and execute the installation routine (install.sh). Alternatively,
you can run it directly from the temporary directory by executing
runme.sh (but I think it's slower or something when you do it that
way).

> And then how do I switch from icewm to ratpoison

Don't know. I've never used ratpoison.

> I think edit some file - .xinitrc?

Normally icewm is started from ~/.xinitrc. I imagine that
putting ratpoison there instead of icewm will probably do
the trick.

> And which of the sites listed in hotlist.html would have
> the best introduction to compiling

Have you installed the compiler packages yet?
They are listed in "How to add new packages to BasicLinux".

Then to compile something, you unzip the source code to
a temporary directory, cd to the main directory of the
source code, and look for some instructions (README or
INSTALL or something). If you can't find instructions,
try:
---------
configure
make
---------
If you are lucky, it will churn away for a while and produce
a binary for you (which will be left in the main directory
or one of the subdirectories).

If you are unlucky, you will get an error (perhaps because
of a missing library). If you get a "file not found" for
configure, skip that step and execute "make".

To start over after a botched compile, execute this first:
----------
make clean
----------

> And SANE for scanners. I found a graphical version in Slackware
> 8.1 - how can I determine if it is usable with bl2 without first
> installing it?

There is no easy way to determine whether a Slackware 8.1 binary
requires glibc 2.2 (rather than accepting the 2.1 version in
BL2). If you use installpkg to install it, you can easily
uninstall it if necessary.

BTW, you can get every package from Slackware 8.1 to work in BL2
by installing the necessary library packages from Slackware 8.1.
For example, I had to install glibc 2.2 from Slack81 in order
to run the phoenix browser. Now everything is using glibc 2.2
and I deleted glibc 2.1 to save space.