baslinux - [BL] How to install .tar.gz files the correct way

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] How to install .tar.gz files the correct way
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 20:32:23 -0500 (EST)

In the past 24 hours we set up a P133/32MB RAM with blinux on HD.
This worked perfectly once I remembered that you need to put a CD-ROM in
the drive before mounting it. I downloaded and installed lynx (the files
needed to be moved to the proper directories) and zgv as contributed by
mail-list members and they work fine together. I installed Kermit,
links-2.1.9 (console mode works fine), seejpeg and the dependencies for
that and zgv.

I found in binutils ar and its dependency and took apart a .deb file using
ar -x filename.deb and produced data.tar.gz which I installed with
installpkg and it put things in the right place but I think I have the
wrong Debian version (Debian website package list is broken). I know I am
not supposed to do this but mc.menu requires mc and I don't want mc.
Perhaps I was just lucky with this small program (photopc).

X with Steven's bl2-x installed second-to-last of all the files shows a
Penguin on the screen as expected this time. Last time it did not because
I installed things in random order. I may switch to the XS3 video next.
Do I need to reconfigure some file or just install the new XS3 file?

One thing I never understood how to do is install Opera 6.03 the correct
way rather than with installpkg. Steven, can you remind me? And then how
do I switch from icewm to ratpoison - first I need to install ratpoison
(another tar.gz file) and then I think edit some file - .xinitrc?
Sorry to have forgotten all of this but it has been five months since I
last tried to us linux.

And which of the sites listed in hotlist.html would have the best
introduction to compiling so I can compile the latest lynx? And a working
photopc. And SANE for scanners. I found a graphical version in Slackware
8.1 - how can I determine if it is usable with bl2 without first
installing it?

I signed back up for the mail list but they have not yet mailed me a
password so I am afraid this will go via the administrator - sorry.
I would appreciate if people would direct responses to my email address as
well as the list for a few days.