baslinux - Re: [BL] SCSI emulation

  • From: cce.zizkov AT volny.cz
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] SCSI emulation
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 01:25:30

Hi Steven,

meanwhile I have read the CD-Writing HOWTO. Everything seems
quite easy and logical under Linux, apart from one thing: the
hardware support. I have a rather new CDRW drive connected to IDE.
It works under Windows with Nero 5.5. I would like to get rid of
Windows on that machine - as soon as possible.

On 29 Nov 03 at 17:37, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

>Reply to Sender: mailto:3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
>Reply to List: mailto:baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
>
>cce.zizkov AT volny.cz wrote:
>>
>> In a CD Write HOWTO I found a description for Redhat installation:
>
>Have you looked at the CD-Writing HOWTO in Slackware 7.1?
>Section 2.1 (Quickstart) will probably help.

This is the very section I was quoting from.

>> whether it will be inevitable to replace loadlin.exe with lilo.
>
>LILO has nothing to do with this. Once the kernel starts booting,
>it makes no difference how it was started.

The problem is that for cdrecord, the IDE drive has to be emulated as
SCSI. I found the mentioned driver modules in Slackware and
installed them with:

insmod ide-cd
insmod ide-scsi
insmod scsi_mod
insmod sg
insmod sr_mod
insmod loop
insmod iso9660

But it seems not to be enough to install the drivers, as the kernel
contains IDE support and by default recognizes the CDRW
drive as /dev/hdc. The suggested fix is to edit lilo.conf:

--------------- from CD write HOWTO -------------------

... The device file name
representing your CD-Writer has to be passed to the driver in the
Linux kernel. Example: hdb=ide-scsi. Such a setting should be added
to lilo.conf or chos.conf if the driver is statically compiled into

The changes in lilo.conf according to the HOWTO:

--------------- from CD write HOWTO -------------------

image=/boot/zImage-2.2.14
label=Linux
read-only
append="hdb=ide-scsi"

linux "Linux 2.1.14" {
image=/boot/zImage-2.0.37
cmdline= root=/dev/hda5 readonly hdb=ide-scsi
}

If the driver for IDE/ATAPI CD-ROMs is loaded as a module, then the
above won't make any difference to you, but make sure you include the
options-line from the next listing. The last three lines of that
listing are generally suggested to further automate the loading of the
required modules.

options ide-cd ignore=hdb # tell the ide-cd module to ignore hdb
alias scd0 sr_mod # load sr_mod upon access of scd0
#pre-install ide-scsi modprobe imm # uncomment for some ZIP drives
only
pre-install sg modprobe ide-scsi # load ide-scsi before sg
pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi # load ide-scsi before sr_mod
pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd # load ide-cd before ide-scsi

The last commands are probably corresponding to what I use to do with
insmod? Is there an alternative for 'options' and 'alias' lines
without using lilo.conf.

There is a very minimalized lilo packet for BL 1.x. Do you think that
this would be compatible with Slackware 7.1 if I want to test the
suggested emulation?

Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov