baslinux - Re: [BL] slow communication with modem

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] slow communication with modem
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 19:50:09 +1200

Andy Jako wrote:

> The interaction with the modem was as follows:
> 48:53.090 Send: "atz\r"
> 49:12.670 Recv: "atz\r"
> 49:22.130 Skip: "\r\n"
> 49:22.680 Recv: "OK\r\n"
> 49:22.680 Send: "at&d3\r"
> 49:52.710 Recv: "at&d3\r"
> 50:02.170 Skip: "\r\n"
> 50:02.720 Recv: "OK\r\n"

There is some problem initializing your modem. The above
sequence takes 69 seconds. It should take no more than
two seconds.

> At the moment for me is interesting why my modem, works
> fine with other OS (including RedHat Linux)

It is possible that your modem requires a special init string
(which is provided in those other OS).

I'm trying to think of reasons why your modem would take
so long to respond. Is it PCI or ISA? Does it have a
IRQ jumper or is it PNP? It is possible that there is
some conflict on your bus (which is automatically fixed
by RedHat or Windows). Excute the following in BL2:
--------------------
setserial /dev/ttyS2
--------------------
Is the output what you expect?

You might consider using chat instead of eznet. There is
a chat package for BL2 on the download site (or you can
install a generic chat from Slackware 7.1).

> ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
> ttyS02 at 0x03e8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A

You are sharing an IRQ with COM1. Do you have anything attached
to the COM1 port?

> pty: 512 Unix98 ptys configured

I'm surprised by that pty line. That shouldn't occur with
the BL2 kernel. Have you substituted bare.i from Slackware 7.1?
Or some other kernel?

I'm not sure how the ptys work. Slackware 7.1 normally has
a pts directory in /dev. Whether this is needed for the ptys,
I don't know. Slackware 7.1 also mounts /dev/pts in /etc/fstab.
Perhaps someone else reading this can shed some light on whether
the ptys might be related to this problem?