baslinux - Re: [BL] BL on a USB key?

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL on a USB key?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 14:41:40 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Erik Anderson wrote:

> Hello all - I'm trying to get BL working on a bootable USB key. Has
> this ever been done before or would anyone have any insights for me?
>
> I've searched through the mailing list archives, but didn't find much.

The BL kernel is not, undoubtedly, USB aware. So, you wouldn't be able to
use the traditional method of installing from the ramdisk, since the
ramdisk version of BL will not see the USB device. Were you to substitute
a newer kernel (I think USB was implemented in the Linux kernel at 2.2.17
and after) it might be workable. But I'd guess that, even then, there'd
still be a significant amount of tinkering to get it to work. I'll have
to leave any further comments to Steven, who should be able to give the
definitive answer.

James