baslinux - [BL] More on Sylpheed: new xserver

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailandnews.com>
  • To: Baslin List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] More on Sylpheed: new xserver
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 18:49:07 -0500

Well, I tried the xserver you recommended, Steven (svga.tgz), and it's made
quite a difference in the performance of Sylpheed on this machine. There's
no comparison in the graphics of the program's gui: it's 100% better with
this xserver (I'm using that server on this machine now). Turns out it makes
quite a performance difference as well. The active line (the one I'm typing
in) does still flash, but not nearly as much as it did on the other xserver.
And I've got 3 other virtual consoles open with programs running in each at
the moment. No really noticeable strain on Sylpheed (might lines flash a
little less noticeably if I didn't have those other programs running?).
Perhaps most importantly, though, the CPU meter remains below the halfway
point. I'd say it stays below the lower quarter of it's little box - despite
more intense flurries of typing. I think I'll have to take back alot of what
I was saying yesterday about the program's performance on this machine. With
t!
he new xserver, it seems perfectly reasonable - even with other programs
open. This is perfectly acceptable performance on a 486 of this class.

I just could not have guessed that the xserver could have such an effect on
the way a program runs. I hope I'm learning something from this.

James