baslinux - Re: [BL] More on Sylpheed: new xserver

  • From: Diego Barizo <diegoba AT adinet.com.uy>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] More on Sylpheed: new xserver
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 09:46:44 -0400

qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

James Miller wrote:

I tried the xserver you recommended, Steven (svga.tgz), and it's made quite a difference in the performance of Sylpheed on this machine. There's no comparison in the graphics of the program's gui: it's 100% better with this
xserver (I'm using that server on this machine now). Turns out it makes quite a performance difference as well.
the CPU meter remains below the halfway point. I'd say it stays below the lower quarter of it's little box

That's very interesting. flwriter also performs badly on
the VGA16 Xserver, but is better on a hi-res Xserver.

I just could not have guessed that the xserver could have such an effect on the way a program runs.

Same here. I had assumed that 16 color, 640x480 resolution
would be faster than 256 color, 800x600 resolution. Seems
like something funny (bad) is going on inside the VGA16
Xserver.