b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tenses in Isaiah 44:24

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Robert Campanaro <faithreason7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tenses in Isaiah 44:24
  • Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 22:46:09 -0400

1. To my understanding the acts are in the present, it is God who is a-horist.

2. You should be wary of sweeping statements to the effect that "Biblical Hebrew has no tenses". For not only is "tense" vague, but "has" is still more problematic. Consider this: spoken Hebrew, which faithfully follows the biblical verb forms, is agreed to "have tense". How come spoken Hebrew "has tense"? Because teachers insist on it and a student not adhering to their rules of grammar gets his ear twisted.

Isaac Fried, Boston University