b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Need help with Turabian format in Word 2010

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: C L <sigebryht AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Need help with Turabian format in Word 2010
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 11:19:26 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Colleagues,

Please help. I am attempting to submit the final draft of my Th.M. thesis in Turabian Humanities format as a Microsoft Word 2010 document. I am running Windows 7 (64-bit) on an HP Elitebook 8540p.

Here are the problems I am encountering:

1.) Greek fonts (particularly vowels with rough breathing marks) come up with little boxes in place of some characters.

I have attempted to replace the fonts with Unicode and remove formatting, but this does not resolve the issue.

2.) Hebrew fonts insert too much space for a defective cholem. I have attempted to replace the fonts with Unicode, to remove formatting, and to key in the Hebrew manually, but this does not resolve the issue.

3.) Orphaned footnotes. I have attempted to resolve all issues with orphaned footnotes, but nothing seems to resolve them all.

*Part of the problem seems to be that Turabian Humanities format requires skipping one line between footnotes. Inserting a carriage return after each footnote throws off Word's automatic controls.
Can I set the footnotes to insert a blank line automatically after each note, but without double-spacing the text in the notes themselves?

4.) Hanging headers. Subheadings get orphaned when my thesis readers open the document in Word at their end. This doesn't happen in every instance.

5.) Also, is there a good tool for generating proper citations in Turabian Humanities? I've always found Turabian to be tough to navigate.

Particularly, I need to make sure I properly cite individually-titled, multi-volume works with a general editor. Examples in my paper include specific volumes from the Word Biblical Commentary series, the Anchor Bible commentaries, and similar works.

Any help you can give me on these issues is most appreciated.

Sincerely,

Chris Lovelace