b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Why tsere? (was ואילילה Micah 1:8)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ken Penner <kpenner AT stfx.ca>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Why tsere? (was ואילילה Micah 1:8)
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 13:29:29 -0300

See Joüon §6i:

“It is recognised that Proto-Semitic had three long vowels, ā, ī, ū, three short vowels a, i, u, and two diphthongs ay, and aw.”

Proto-Semitic /ay/ ‍became Tiberian ֵ
בֵּית־ “the house of” < /*bayt/; סוּסֵ֫ינוּ /susẹ'nu/ “our horses”

So Joüon §76c has for Primitive פ״י verbs:

*yayṭīb > יֵיטִיב.

Paul Joüon and T. Muraoka, A Grammar of Biblical Hebrew (Roma: Pontificio Istituto Biblico, 2006).

Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.

Associate Professor, Religious Studies

2329 Notre Dame Avenue, 409 Nicholson Tower

St. Francis Xavier University

Antigonish, NS  B2G 2W5

Canada

(902)867-2265