b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ezek 3:26

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ezek 3:26
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 11:04:15 -0600

Hi Chris,

Thanks for responding on this one.  Just a few thoughts in reply.

(1) You say you have no training, but you have apparently had at least some Hebrew.  Could you tell us what you have had?

(2) You said, “The root means as you know, to be clear, in the forefront, shine, to demonstrate . . .”; but actually, I don’t know that.  What resource did you get this information from?  Is this perhaps from an older lexicon?

(3) I appreciate the attempt, but you can’t really take a root word apart and obtain meaning from just part of the root.  So, it really isn’t legitimate to read כח into יכח.

In any case, while I don’t think you get there by the right method, you are nevertheless correct that the prophets were often thought to be not in their right mind (see Jer 29:26; Hos 9:7).

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd
Taylor Seminary