b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 91:16 last word

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Chris Watts <dekruidnootjes AT eircom.net>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 91:16 last word
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 14:58:12 -0600

Hi Chris and Karl,

I too believe that Karl has correctly called attention to the wide range of usage for the beth preposition.  However, when it comes to his translation, "I look at him with my salvation." it doesn't capture the consistent nuance of the Hiphil for this particular verb.  It is not YHWH who looks, but the person whom YHWH causes to see his salvation.

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd
Taylor Seminary