b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yohanan bin-Dawidh <yohanan.bin.dawidh AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] G.Gertoux and the Name...
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 22:50:48 -0500

Hello Curt;

I, personally, do not trust or fancy any opinion that is put for by Jeff Benner, or his followers.

There is a notion that if the Shewa in YHWH, which usually gets translated as an “e” as in Yehovah/Yehowa, is actually a Shewa Nah, then it takes on the vowel sound of the following vowel within the word. If the following vowel within the word is a Holem, i.e. “o” sound, then the Shewa Nah would likewise make this sound, but this only applies if it is a Shewa Nah, and according to some scholars of Tiberian Hebrew, such is the case in the Tetragrammaton.

Regards,

Yohanan bin-Dawidh