b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex. 3:14 Ehyeh has sent me to you

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "Rev. Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex. 3:14 Ehyeh has sent me to you
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 14:07:32 -0500

1. Still, the enigma of EHYH lingers.

2. I like it: "When knowledge of God diminishes, the need to know the "name" of God increases."

Isaac Fried, Boston University

On Jan 9, 2013, at 12:08 PM, Rev. Bryant J. Williams III wrote:

Dear Cornelius,

I would think that the question, "What is his name?," that the Israelites would ask is necessary and would be duely required from ANY person claiming he had been sent by that "God." This is due to the fact of the last 429 years that the Israelites have been in Egypt. Every "god" or "goddess" had a name that also reflected the nature of the "god" or "goddess" that was worshipped. Exodus 6:3 is quite clear that the Israelites would NEED to know this name (Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as El-$aday NOT as YHWH). (NOTE: I think progressive revelation is also at play here).

When knowledge of God diminishes, the need to know the "name" of God increases.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III