b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Audience of the pentateuch (was: role of euphemism and racial stereotying in biblical hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Norman Cohn <normanncohn AT yahoo.com.br>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Audience of the pentateuch (was: role of euphemism and racial stereotying in biblical hebrew
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 17:36:03 -0800 (PST)

Hi Noam,

Thanks for the reply. That gives further credence to Watts' thesis that the Pentateuch law was shaped with a view to its public reading.

I can perfectly accept the claim that the Pentateuch Law was fashioned according to literary conventions which made it suitable for public reading. I think it's also fair to say that the legal texts are directed towards a mixed audience.

I don't have much of an opinion, though, as to the intended audience of the rest of the Pentateuch (the non-legal parts), nor am I acquainted with scholarly works dealing with this subject more thoroughly, though I'm sure there must be plenty!

Jean-Louis Ska's thesis, which by the way is not really his cause he quotes others who hold that view, sounds a bit puzzling to me, but I could easily be convinced of it if I were shown enough evidence.

Best regards,
Norman Cohn
São Paulo - SP