b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Ex. 3:14 Ehyeh has sent me to you

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: cornelis den hertog <cok17 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Ex. 3:14 Ehyeh has sent me to you
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 17:13:47 +0100

Dear Bryant and other readers,

Thanks for your reply. Perhaps I may indicate that your interpretation of Exod 6.3 is not so self-

evident. In particular the view that the name Yhwh is supposed to be unknown before (see your

post of 7 Jan., if I understand it well) is not so obvious. Read some major commentaries about

Exodus and you may find support for your view but also a contestation of it (Childs, OTL, 1974;

Benno Jacob, 1992; Houtman, HCOT, 1993; Propp, AB, 1999). However, I did not and I do

not want to start a discussion about Exod 6.3 because in my view that would carry us too far

away from Exod 3.13-15. Nevertheless, Exod 6.3 manifests an idea that may also be relevant

for Exod 3.13-15: a particular revelation corresponds to / is 'covered' by a particular divine name.

In this connection one may also refer to Gen 16.13. With reference to the divine intervention she

experienced Hagar says: ‘You are El Ro-i’. I still wonder whether there are not also examples

of this phenomenon in neighbouring cultures.

Cornelis den Hertog