b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Takliyth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Takliyth
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 12:22:40 -0700

Hi Mike,

Based on just the five occurrences in the Hebrew Bible, I don't see any moral or ethical nuances for the word, nor that of "mature" or "healthy."

I don't know about possible further occurrences in other ancient Hebrew literature.  Maybe someone else on the list can help with that.

As far as Augustine is concerned, he is probably not even working with the Hebrew text at all.  All he has is the Latin text.  He is probably assuming that the Latin translation is an accurate rendering of the LXX text.  So he is not reading anything into the Hebrew term.

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd
Taylor Seminary