b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Takliyth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Mike Burke <michaelgburk AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Barry <nebarry AT verizon.net>, "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Takliyth
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 07:33:05 -0800 (PST)

I read the context, and I understand he's dealing with a theological issue, but the quote seems to make much less sense if he mean "complete."

I hated in them their iniquities, I loved Your creation. This it is to hate with a complete hatred, that neither on account of the vices thou hate the men, nor on account of the men love the vices.

of "perfect" (i.e., morally without flaw) into the word, but that a "complete" hatred can be exercised as long as the object of that hatred is the proper object.<<<<

But the object would seem to be "them."

It doesn't make any sense to me (and I don't see how it could make any sense to Augustine or his readers) to suggest that a "complete" hatred of "them" was just a hatred of their vices, but it might make sense to suggest that a (morally) perfect hatred of "them" was a hatred of their vices.

Someone said TAKLIYT contains the idea of "goal, or purpose," did "perfectum" contain the same idea (and could that have implied moral perfection to Augustine)?