b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] When did )NK in Amos 7:7f become interpreted as "plumb line"?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Daniel Lundsgaard Skovenborg <waldeinburg AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] When did )NK in Amos 7:7f become interpreted as "plumb line"?
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 15:17:46 -0700

Daniel:

The question here, what was the tool used for?

The advantage of lead, in modern usage, is its density, but any weight can
be used and the tool is stil functional. It doesn’t matter what the tool’s
weight is made of, if it holds the line straight, it does its job. If it is
true as you say that the original weight was made of tin, hence its name in
Akkadian, it is best to translate it not by the name “tin” rather as
“ plumb-line” in English, even though “plumb” refers to lead.

It is function that we look for, not form.

Karl W. Randolph.