b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] When did )NK in Amos 7:7f become interpreted as "plumb line"?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] When did )NK in Amos 7:7f become interpreted as "plumb line"?
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 17:25:42 +0200

Hi Daniel,

Rashi, David Qimhi and Ibn-Ezra (10-12th centuries) all claim the word is
similar to the Arabic and means either "lead" or "a builder's tool" - which I
suppose would be a plumb line.

BTW, even if the Akkadian does mean "tin", tin could have been used for the
same purpose. Tin and lead are not all that different. Both were used to
alloy with copper to produce bronze.

Best

Yigal Levin