b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] -HM vs -MW suffix

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] -HM vs -MW suffix
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 11:30:17 -0500

It is all Biblical Hebrew, but the HB contains different parallel grammatical forms and constructions. The commonly suffixed personal pronoun is -U as in TA-$UB-U (containing three personal pronouns) תשובו of Jos. 23:12, but also, more rarely, -UN as in T$UBUN of 1Ki. 9:6. What prompted the editor to use -UN instead of -U is not clear to me, the same way it is not clear to me why he prefers to use in Ex. 9:25 $IBER שִבֵּר instead of $ABAR (I don't believe, not even for a moment that piel represents a "strong" action.)

In the spoken Hebrew of today -UN is out.

When you say that, say, -IY is a suffix you are only implying that it is not radical. For example, BIY as in BIY ADONIY of Nu. 12:11. If - IY is here a suffix, then the word (or macro-word) is of the single- consonant root B, corresponding to the English 'be', with something attached to it. But what is this something, is it the same thing as in BIY, 'in me', of 2Sam. 14:33?

Isaac Fried, Boston University