b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] -HM vs -MW suffix

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Uzi Silber <uzisilber AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] -HM vs -MW suffix
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 12:01:44 -0500

We touched upon it here on several occasions, on which I expressed my belief that the
prefixed (or pre-hitched or pre-adhered) $E ֶש is but a curtailed (which is the price of hitching)
ZEH זֶה or ZEH: (notice the colon). I believe the letter L in $EL is a single-consonant root
meaning AL עַל or EL אֵל 'on'. $EL also appears to me to be a variant of ECEL אֵצֶל 'by'.

Thus, $ELO = $EL-HU, $ELIY = $EL-ANIY, $ELANU = $EL-ANU, etc.

Isaac Fried, Boston University