b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] -HM vs -MW suffix

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] -HM vs -MW suffix
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 07:21:26 -0500

1. You are right, except that I would refrain from using "predecessor", as it could imply an assertion for a linear development of the Hebrew language, whereas we see internal evidence (say in the equivalent verbal forms piel and hifil) that Hebrew expanded in parallel strains.

2. I see the preposition L as a contracted adhered EL אל or AL על

Isaac Fried, Boston University