b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Some Greek transliterations

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Will Parsons <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Some Greek transliterations
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 19:02:30 -0500

What caught my eye in KIKAR כִּכָּר of 2Sam 18:23 is that the first K is transliterated there by a kappa, as though the Greek writers new to read an initial K as we read today the Hebrew letter kaf seen with a dot in it. But right away I saw כָּלֵב Caleb of Nu. 13:6 transliterated as Χαλεβ

Isaac Fried, Boston University