b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Some Greek transliterations

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Will Parsons <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Some Greek transliterations
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 02:29:38 -0800

Wil:

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Will Parsons <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>wrote:

> Isaac,
>
> This does not match the MT pointing exactly, …
>
> That we don't actually see the pattern of distribution of [p] vs [f] of the
> MT in the LXX can be explained in various ways.

One that you didn’t mention is that there were different ‘dialectal’
pronunciations of which the Tiberian preserved in the Masoretic points is
late.

For example, in the New Testament as preserved in the Byzantine tradition,
Galilean names transcribed into Greek had fewer aspirated consonants than
Judean or LXX. Hence Peter’s accent mentioned in Mark 14:70.

How much of that was influenced by the Greek, how much by Aramaic, may be
pretty hard to differentiate today.