b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew in translation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Yigal Levin <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew in translation
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 07:12:25 -0800

Yigal:

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 10:15 PM, Yigal Levin <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il> wrote:

> BTW, by not translating passages from the Modern language you express
> disregard for the majority of members of this list who do not know it, just
> as you do when you interlace your posts with modern Hebrew words. Uri
> Hurwitz
>

> This is a very good point. Not just Isaac but everyone: when quoting in
> Hebrew, ancient or modern, please provide a translation. Not all members of
> this list read Hebrew, not all email programs accept Hebrew fonts.
>

> Yigal Levin,
>
> Co-moderator, B-Hebrew
>
> I thought that ability to read Biblical Hebrew was a requirement for
joining this group.

However, as you note, ability to read modern Hebrew is not.

Just out of curiosity, how many of our members are still on old email
systems that do not accept unicode? Years ago I switched to gmail to get
unicode facility, but now even my old account (which I kept for other uses)
has been upgraded so that it now accepts unicode, which includes Hebrew. I
personally have no known contact with an email account that does not accept
unicode. Are there any people on this list whose email accounts do not
accept Hebrew?