b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] mishnaic Hebrew + Deborah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] mishnaic Hebrew + Deborah
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 21:48:15 +0000

Karl, I don't know of anyone other than yourself who seriously doubts that
Ugaritic was around in the 14th century BC. I know of no cogent argument for
seeing Ugaritic as contemporaneous with Nebuchadnezzar II of the
Neo-Babylonian Empire. In fact, to be quite honest, the suggestion is
outrageous. Not that I'm averse to stirring the pot, but this just seems
nonsensical in the extreme.

GEORGE ATHAS