b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] mishnaic Hebrew + Deborah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kevin Riley <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] mishnaic Hebrew + Deborah
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 09:14:48 +1100

Karl,

Just 2 points.

1) the Sinai inscriptions seem to have a larger than 22 letter alphabet, from memory. As does Ugaritic. That argues for the loss of sounds, not the development of sounds.

2) The major argument against Hebrew developing the shin/sin distinction late in history is that the same distinction is found in Ugaritic and the South Semitic languages. I have read there is an 80%+ match between the two groups that have 3 'S' sounds (excluding emphatics). It is unlikely that the match would be that high purely by chance, and there is little chance that the similarity comes from contact. South Semitic was in contact with Arabic and Akkadian (and its descendents), both of which have 2 's' sounds, but not directly with NW Semitic. To argue that Hebrew originally had 22 phonemes, and then developed some more that just by coincidence happened to match up with other branches of Semitic seems to be choosing the harder option when the simpler and more likely solution is that Hebrew retained distinctions that were not represented in writing.

Let's be traditional and go for three points. Can you point to one writing system in the ANE, any time between about 2000BCE and 1000BCE that is not polyvalent? If not, why assume Hebrew should or would be?

Kevin Riley