b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebron and Sodom (was: gen. 25 (tam?))

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebron and Sodom (was: gen. 25 (tam?))
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 06:02:02 +0200

-----Original Message-----
>From K Randolph

The text indicates that near Hebron was a place from which Sodom could be
viewed. Archaeologists have identified the ruins of Sodom, to the south and
east of the Dead Sea. There is no reason to question that Hebron is the same
city as the one that Abraham knew. Logically and textually, it makes sense,
as well as from history and archeology.

Karl, this is misleading. "Archaeologists" have not "identified the ruins of
Sodom, to the south and east of the Dead Sea". I assume that you are
referring to Bab ed-Dhra', which is an Early Bronze Age city near the
south-eastern shore of the Dead Sea. Identifying it with Sodom assumes, of
course, that the story of Sodom occurred at the end of the EB (c. 2200 BCE),
which is a very small minority opinion. And assuming it did, how could we
know that this place, or any other that you have in mind, is actually Sodom
and not Gomorrah, Admah or Zeboim?

Actually, if you look at a map (or actually go there!) you will see that what
is visible from the Hebron area (not from the city itself, but from the
ridges to its east - but yes, I agree that it is the same city that we know
today) is the NORTHERN end of the Dead Sea, NOT the southern end. So taking
the story literally, THAT'S where one should look for Sodom.

Yigal Levin