b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] gen. 25 (tam?)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: jimstinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] gen. 25 (tam?)
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 16:13:29 -0700

Jim:

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 6:02 AM, <jimstinehart AT aol.com> wrote:

> Karl:
>
> 1. My first point cited the text: “Genesis 13: 9, 11 says that Abraham
> went the opposite direction from Bethel as Lot, and that Lot went east.
> Thus the text indicates that Abraham went west of Bethel, which would bring
> Abraham to one of the best places in all of Canaan for a huge flock of sheep
> and goats: the Aijalon Valley, in the northern Shephelah.”

1) Historic Hebron, while mostly to the south, is to the west of Bethel,
but on the heights where it is cooler than the lowland valleys and better
for the sheep.

2) How much time passed from chapter 13 to chapter 14? Could be years, in
fact the context implies that it was years. Lot took the Jordan Valley and
eastwards, Abraham the heights and westwards. And they had freedom of motion
within their respective spheres. Further, other context indicates that
Abraham continued to go to the lush grasslands around Beersheba for winter
grazing, which is even further to the south but further to the west.

> 2. In fact, the city of Hebron is surrounded by mountains.

Have you even been in mountains? Your whole answer indicates you don't know
what mountains are like.

> If you and the scholars were right as to the traditional location of the
> Patriarchs’ Hebron, why is there no mention in the Biblical text of
> mountains, or even hills, at or near the Patriarchs’ Hebron?

Why would they need to mention such a well known fact?

> Karl, if you would contrast the two locales we have been discussing as
> possible sites for the Patriarchs’ “Hebron”, I think you will see that what
> the text says, and does not say, strongly supports my view that Abraham
> chose to sojourn in the northern Shephelah. That makes logical sense, and
> it’s what the text indicates.

The text indicates that near Hebron was a place from which Sodom could be
viewed. Archaeologists have identified the ruins of Sodom, to the south and
east of the Dead Sea. There is no reason to question that Hebron is the same
city as the one that Abraham knew. Logically and textually, it makes sense,
as well as from history and archeology.