b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] fred on 2 tenses at the same sentence

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] fred on 2 tenses at the same sentence
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 14:49:14 -0600

Hello Nir:

I appreciate your frankness ....

perhaps just as humans have a tail bone and wisdom teeth, artifacts of the
past; unused in the present; so ancient hebrew has the two verb forms.

but is it true today; that when the native hebrew speaker says:

1. "steve skipped school yesterday;

2. "sally will attend school tomorrow."

the speaker always reaches today:

a. for the qatal form in statement "1," and

b. for the yiqtol form for statement "2?"

regards,

fred burlingame