b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] fred on 2 tenses at the same sentence

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred burlingame <tensorpath AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] fred on 2 tenses at the same sentence
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 09:52:23 -0600

Hello Karl:

I don't insist on any particular conjugation of hebrew verb forms.

I am simply looking for a simple answer as to the purpose of the yiqtol and
qatal verb forms.

It appears the forms do not instruct for tense or aspect.

So, the question becomes, why the presence of the two forms?

regards,

fred burlingame