b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] quantum hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] quantum hebrew
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 05:58:17 +0000

Fred,

Your example involves a single text: Homer’s Odyssey. The exercise you
described would simply be a study of characterisation. If we are talking
about how the book of Isaiah characterises Yahweh, then fine, no problem. But
the examples you gave range across a number of biblical texts. Yes, these
texts are all part of an accepted canon, and I can see why you would choose
to work within the entire canon as a parameter. However, you seemed to be
using this as a platform to make a theological statement—again,
understandably so, but still different to a literary study of a character
within a biblical text (which is how you portrayed the study of Odysseus in
The Odyssey). I hope you can see the difference between your example and what
your early post said.

I’m all for using the Bible to make absolute statements on theology. Just not
on B-Hebrew.

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au