b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic to Hebrew language switch?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ed Walkwitz <edwalkwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: jimstinehart AT aol.com, kwrandolph AT gmail.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic to Hebrew language switch?
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 09:48:36 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks to all for your thots. I took the weekend off from email. Some of your
thots have been helpful, but the thread is getting to the point where I might
have to wait and do more study before I can have much more to say. But a few

Targums and post-exilic Aramaic: I guess I'll have to more reading. Karl W.
Randolph: you wrote: "
 "If you read widely you will find that characters in a story often have
native
names, even if they are foreign. There is no reason why a Hebrew writer could
not have silently changed Akkadian names to a Hebrew name that was, in some
way,
equivalent." Again, appreciating your expertise in the names of the
patriarchal
narratives, it's a fairly small corpus, not quite, "reading widely." Your
study
has informed you about the names as they occur in the text, not about whether
they may have been changed or adapted before or when the text was written.
Jim: I appreciate your expertise in the patriarchal narratives, but doesn't
all
the evidence that the names are pure Hebrew still leave the question, why
couldn't Abram couldn't have changed or adapted his name later, or Moses have
changed or adapted the names? Whether the names occur in their birth
narrative
or anywhere else in the narrative wouldn't seem to me to make a difference.
Someone wrote you,
    BTW: small point: I don't know if it's just my computer, but your lines
are
a mile long.  I had to paste your emails into a word-processor to read them.
Thanks.
Ed Walkwitz, Des Moines, IowaI noticed the same pattern among post Babylonian
Exile Biblical authors, that their use of Hebrew follows the pattern of being
second language, not the language taught at a mother’s knee nor spoken in the
market. " Is there a write-up somewhere describing what the differences are
in
post-exilic Hebrew, and how it looks like a "second language"? I wasn't sure
how
to interpret your next sentence. Do you conclude that the post-exilic Jews
spoke
Aramaic?
>From edwalkwitz AT yahoo.com Mon Aug 30 13:03:50 2010
t83187828; bh=jmQ1NY50cRaDtyoPwvJ+mo+o5jEILkthjVG3DRokMbc=;

h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:References:Date:From:Subject:To:Cc:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type;

b=QG75ywuFcW+t4Skdi3/SBHOv/ALxOpP0CrHyf5Ec4360Vf/TxDR0uXD8WXE30dBvHsLqb6np33Myc3iwrbiJQnPH3zkRwLQ/ymPf1ixvSvxgNPZfezDAg60ZVhmFRtvnB2wpwQAPHWpa1uvDt5PwRrUB2XdHw5U5DgZn9Ogq1VEDomainKey-Signature:
a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.com;

h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:References:Date:From:Subject:To:Cc:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type;

b=Ws23tK3LUHepXjq6XibYhjkKh7W8e2X3Ez7zNudFVMfjEfQzS2znbI6/SObgPl9CmqltSmWeuHCnioev+0R6gBEHU7zzxbshanW4+cxuPoMm3RO4SqBD6x3KDQ4eoSCn4BWOVO4vVgw4S/hevRxU7reSYplEh/H94JDuu4gHGhg=;