b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Exam Guffs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: fred putnam <fred.putnam AT gmail.com>
  • To: Uzi Silber <uzisilber AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Exam Guffs
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 10:38:31 -0400

I once received a paper from a student who, obviously just clicking
"correct" when he ran spell-check, lamented "David's sin with Bathtub". Or
perhaps that was a Freudian slip, compressing the entire story into a single
phrase.

Fred Putnam

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Uzi Silber <uzisilber AT gmail.com> wrote:

> heres a good one:
>
> when i was in 10th grade (I attended a modern orthodox jewish school on
> Manhattan's upper east side) a friend of mine had to speak iin front of
> our
> navi (prophets) class about a topic which now escapes my mind..
> In the course of his talk, he meant to say "the new version" but what he
> ended up saying was "the nude virgin."
>
> Uzi Silber
>

> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 10:27 AM, James Christian <
> jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com
> > wrote:
>
> > lol, Reminds me of a student who once wrote an English essay on the
> > contraversial subject of the legalisation of cannabis. He wrote as the
> > title
> > of his essay:
> >
> > And God said "Let the earth bring forth grass" (Genesis 1:11)
> >
> > James Christian
> >
> > On 24 June 2010 17:19, George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all!
> > >
> > > For those of you not on Facebook, I thought I’d post this on the list.
> > I’m
> > > marking a Hebrew exam at the moment. One particular question in this
> exam
> > > asked students to give the Hebrew for ‘Let there be light’. The answer,
> > of
> > > course, is יְהִי אוֹר. But one particular student gave the answer יְהִי
> > עוֹר
> > > , which means ‘Let there be leather’.
> > >
> > > And lo, I saw that it was very good.
> > >
> > > If you have your own Hebrew exam guffs to offer, feel free.
> > >
> > > GEORGE ATHAS
> > > Moore Theological College (Sydney, Australia)
> > > www.moore.edu.au

"We are not yet what we already are" (J. Pieper).

215-393-9683 (home)
www.fredputnam.org (website)

Frederic Clarke Putnam | Professor of Biblical Studies
Philadelphia Biblical University | 200 Manor Avenue | Langhorne, PA
19047-2990
http://pbu.edu | 1215-702-4502 | Fax: 1-215-702-4533

 Before printing this email, think green!