b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Biblical Hebrew orthographical practices in light of epigraphy

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Biblical Hebrew orthographical practices in light of epigraphy
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 03:05:48 +0300

Hi,

the reason I like CL as opposed to theoretical linguistics so much is
because we can put blatantly misguided statements like the following to the
test.

Evidently, then, linguistic knowledge counts for a lot. But there's another
> issue here. The question at hand is not about translation, not about
> semantics, not about syntax, not about morphology, not about
> phonology. It is about orthography. Compared to all the above,
> orthography is a much more manageable study. For orthography, the
> data set is reasonable. Even for some other aspects it is reasonable.

OK. The following paragraphs you wrote are our training data set for your
theory. Our test data set will be English written on the internet. Using
your 'linguistic knowledge' which you derive from this training set please
present me with an algorithm which defines the orthography of the English
language. If you don't know how to program I'll write the program for you if
you provide me with precise pseudocode. I already know what the result will
be before we do this simple exercise. Even if you get your rule set 'right'
and even if we manage to implement it correctly the test set data from the
internet will show that your rule set is far too over generalised and will
not work in anywhere near as many cases as you believed it would. This is
because your training data set is *too small* to extract a reliable rule set
from. You are welcome not to believe me and put this to the test. I believe
the exercise will help you greatly.

If only theoreticians like Chomsky would actually gain some experience
putting his claims to work on real data the world of linguistics might
actually become a more scientific place. Until then the burden lies on
computational linguists to educate the world that has been misled by the
likes of Chomsky what the actually reality of language empirically is.

James Christian