b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Wells, Wells of Bitumen"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: jimstinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Wells, Wells of Bitumen"
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 09:19:34 +0300

Jim,

in an attempt to bring some order back to the subject header system we have
here I've answered you and George in a new thread with an appropriate
subject title.

In this thread, which you started about the expression 'wells, wells of
bitumen' I would like to invite you to continue the interesting discussion
we had going which you haven't commented further on.

I pointed out to you that the use of doubling here is to emphasize the
quantity of wells/pits of bitumen. I further pointed out to you that in
Genesis 14:3 the valley of Siddim is equated with the Salt Sea and the
reason you don't see a large quantity of bitumen pits in the Dead Sea area
is because they are all under the water (that's why you see bitumen floating
to the surface).

None of the areas you describe fit the description of a large quantity of
pits such that the majority of a fleeing army would fall into them. Also,
none of the places you describe seem to have undergone such a massive
environmental change that the author felt the need to state that in those
days the valley of Siddim was full of pits of bitumen (as opposed to a Salt
Sea).

James Christian