b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Wells, Wells of Bitumen"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • To: uhurwitz AT yahoo.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Wells, Wells of Bitumen"
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 12:35:44 EDT

Uri Hurwitz:

Is your point that modern standard Arabic does not use these words?

All my sources are from 19th century A.D. Europeans, who are reporting
Arabic nomenclature, though it may be slang or local vernacular, etc.

Here’s my second 19th century A.D. reference (this time from 1847) to that
same place and same name:

“turned off by stone Anicut to turn a mill; limestone. - 0 20. From bridge
ascend hills to bitumen pits, Biar el Hommar. - 0 12. Descend to road by
village ...”

Finally, I’ve got a third reference to “wells” in Arabic, this time from
1891, which says: “Biar (Arab.), wells.”

So I’ve got two 19th century A.D. references by Europeans to “Biar el
Hommar” as meaning “bitumen pits” or “bitumen wells” (assuming that I am not
misinterpreting these sources), and a third 19th century A.D. source that
definitely reports “biar” as meaning “wells” in Arabic. John Burckhardt (my
original cite) was particularly proud of the fact that, while in Syria in
1812, he learned (he claimed) both standard Arabic and also the local Arabic
vernacular used at that time in the Orontes River Valley.

At Genesis 14: 10, we see B)RT B)RT XMR in Biblical Hebrew. Both the
concept, and the precise wording, seem basically the same to me in Biblical
Hebrew and in 19th century A.D. Arabic, Biar el Hommar, as reported by
Europeans.

If I am misinterpreting “Biar el Hommar” as being the 19th century A.D.
English version of the Arabic phrase for “wells of bitumen” (or if perhaps my
source set forth the wrong Arabic letters), I would greatly appreciate
learning from you the error of my ways.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois