b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 14:6 and the construct state

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 14:6 and the construct state
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 10:04:01 -0700

Donald:

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Donald R. Vance, Ph.D. <donaldrvance AT mac.com
> wrote:

> Jim,
> OK, let's try this again. It is impossible for bhrrm to be a construct.
> Period.

Not true. Possible if proper nouns (names).

> Karl,
> Proper Names do NOT occur in construct. Beth-Lehem Ephratha is NOT a
> construct relation ship. It is an appositional phrase. How do I know this?
> There is no reduction as occurs in nouns in the construct relationship.
> Further, there are no examples of PNs in construct with the resulting vowel
> reduction.
>
> And where is your evidence of vowel reduction, or lack thereof, when the
vowels were not recorded at all?

If you mean the vowels of the MT? Forget it. They are wrong often enough
that I found them untrustworthy. So untrustworthy that I no longer use them,
nor even have them on the page as I read the text.

As for proper nouns, that is, names, not appearing in construct, what do you
make of Judges 17:7–8, 19:1–2, 18, and many more? Are these oppositional
phrases?

By the way, I think the moderators would prefer it if you sign your name.