b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Tob in Genesis 1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: robertsumner0110 AT wmconnect.com
  • To: B-Hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Tob in Genesis 1
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 04:45:53 -0400

Petr,

I don't think the word 'reinterpret' is a good choice here. If anything,
Genesis I is a repudiation of not only the Babylonian mythic corpus, but of
myth itself. Take, for example, the choice of the term "greater light" rather
than the conventional shamash when referring to the sun Tob in these passages
is part of God's inner dialog, a conversation He is having with Himself. It
is as if to say that the finished product corresponded exactly with the idea.
God, as the great craftsman or artist was simply saying, "Well, that turned
out exactly as I wanted it to." In this sense, tob could well be translated
as 'completed to satisfaction,' I think, also, that your response to Karl's
statement (ahistorical?) indicates that you really did not understand what he
was saying. If anything, Karl's assessment was far more 'historical' than
mine would have been.

Robert Shannon Sumner

  • [b-hebrew] Tob in Genesis 1, robertsumner0110, 03/23/2010