b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Fw: YHWH in Deut. 32

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Fw: YHWH in Deut. 32
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 08:10:18 -0700 (PDT)

   Since it was discussed on the list a couple
of weeks ago, I  recieved a few private mails on the
subject.

  As there may be some more interest on the matter, I
tought of posting on the list, with George Atahs's
permission, a brief exchange about this between us
which was initated by me.

    This includes the ending of my post, and his full,
succinct answer:

    " ... I don't understand your support for 'polytheistic
thinking" in this poem.
  Apart from the contentious two verses, Yhaweh
appears seven times  alone in the poem;  foreign would-be
gods are mocked.

  One of my interests is the development of
intolerant Yahwism. Det.32 is an excellent example of it."

                                           [UH]

    "What I was trying to say was that those who included the
poem within the Pentateuch probably read it from a purely
monotheistic-Yahwistic point of view, such that Yahweh is
understood to be the only deity referred to in the poem.
However, the poem itself may come from an originally
polytheistic setting in which Yahweh was viewed as one of
the gods, perhaps even one of the sons of El. Despite this
possible origin (and we have no way to confirm if this was
the case), the current poem in the MT is solely Yahwistic.

GEORGE ATHAS Moore Theological College (Sydney, Australia)"

    Uri Hurwitz                          Great Neck, NY

  • [b-hebrew] Fw: YHWH in Deut. 32, Uri Hurwitz, 03/22/2010