b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Scope of data – infinitive absolute list, #1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Scope of data – infinitive absolute list, #1
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:44:53 +0200

>> The qatol in past context, main clauses from Jouon-Muraoka,
>> (not imperatival qatol, nor, in future contexts, nor aligned with
>> participle, nor jussive)
>>
>> Gn 41.43 ונתון

[Karl]
> Context! A context that requires an infinitive because it is a secondary
> use, the result of the actions listed in 42 and 43a.

. . .

This is the first example in the list, according to canonical order.
Please clarify your terms and claims.
(You still haven’t cleaned up your mess with the Qumran text wnslwH.)

How or why does the context “require” an “infinitive”?
(PS: I hope that you distinguish “infinitive absolutes” from
“infinitive constructs”. They are separate structures, despite the
partially overlapping names that are given them in some grammars. In
this case the ‘absolute’ is naton נתֹן [w-ntwn, with ‘and’, not with a
preposition], while the ‘construct’ is tet תת, as in la-tet, or
be-tit-i.)

What do you mean by ‘secondary use, the result of ... actions’?

How does this differ from using a finite verb to refer to an event
that is also the result of previous actions?
I can rephrase this in more concrete terms,
how does the actual biblical text
Gn 41.43 wntwn ונתון
differ from a potential
wytn ויתן