b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] And you shall love to your neighbor as yourself

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] And you shall love to your neighbor as yourself
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 22:51:16 -0400

Does anyone have any thoughts on why Lev 19:18 has the preposition "le" on
"neighbor"?

The same question applies to Lev 19:34: And you shall love to him (the
stranger) as yourself.

These are the only 2 places in the Bible where "ahav" takes the preposition
"le".

My thought is that the "le" makes it not mean: Whatever I would do for
myself, I should do for my neighbor also. But I don't know of a way to
support that meaning from the presence of "le".

Thanks.

Sincerely,

-Steve Miller

Detroit

<http://www.voiceInWilderness.info> www.voiceInWilderness.info

What prayer and supplication soever be made by any man, or by all thy people
Israel, which shall know every man the plague of his own heart, and spread
forth his hands toward this house. (1 Kings 8:38)

  • [b-hebrew] And you shall love to your neighbor as yourself, Steve Miller, 03/20/2010