b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Sodom's Historical Sin: Etymology and Geography

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Sodom's Historical Sin: Etymology and Geography
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 00:56:49 +0200

Dear Jim,

I must admit that I actually like your "first level" of etymologies for the
five cities. Connecting all five names to agriculture could be the author's
way of reminding us what a fertile place the "Kikar" was before it was
overturned. The problem with that is that the more such names can be shown
to be literary devices on the part of the author, the less "historical" the
whole story is likely to be.

Yigal Levin