b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Vowel Subsitution

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Vowel Subsitution
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 11:21:42 +0200

Hi,

2010/1/10 Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>

> On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 11:33 PM, James Christian wrote:
> > There are a number of problems with bringing in evidence from Greek
> > transliterations:
> > a) Greek has no way of representing a H consonant midword
> > b) Greek has a set of vowels which does not entirely overlap the Hebrew
> > vowels e.g. no schewa
> > But let's leave that aside for the moment. Which Greek transliterations
> are
> > you talking about exactly? I've seen none that support a form of YAHWEH.
> Are
> > you referring to IABA?
> > What do you make of these(copied and pasted from wikipedia)?
> >
> > Ιουώ (Iouō): Pistis Sophia[94] (2nd cent.)
> > Ιεού (Ieou): Pistis Sophia[94] (2nd cent.)
> > Ιεηωουά (Ie-ee-ōoua): Pistis Sophia[95] (2nd cent.)
> > Ιευώ (Ievō): Eusebius[96] (c. 315)
> >
> > James Christian
>
> I make nothing of Wikipedia.

I appreciate that but the Greek transliterations are well referenced so your
dislike of the secondary source is irrelevant.

> There was no schewa "vowel" in Hebrew either.

On what are you basing this conclusion? On Greek transliterations? Or did
you have a quick chat with Moses and pass his speech patterns through a Fast
Fourier Transform? When do you see the schewa as starting to be used?

> Whether you like it or not, Yahweh is a result of following up on Greek
> Iabe.

OK, so you're using the transliteration used by Theodoret, right? I suppose
Theodoret does predate the Christian authors somewhat. But that does leave a
lot of unanswered questions like?

Why would a non-Jewish Greek historian be more familiar with the name than
early Christians?
Where did the early get their transliterations from? Are we to suggest the
Hebrew text was already pointed with vowels from Adonai and that's where
they got the dodgy pronunciation from?
Also, have we considered the limitations of the Greek alphabet in the
construction of Iabe plus the differences in Greek pronunciation in the time
of Theodoret?

James Christian